Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Formula

Do you have a formula for the way you dress? 




Long ago, I realized that if I wore smooth flowing fabrics in a soft palette of colors, I would be able to layer items or combine them in different ways to create outfits for many occasions. 

My closet includes basic pieces that can be worn with different accessories to elevate them from daytime work wear to elegant evenings with friends. I won't buy a wardrobe of clothes which serve only one purpose (such as evening wear). A silk blouse I might wear with jeans to run errands during the day can also be worn with a black pencil skirt or crepe pants for dinner with friends. Accessories are the key that makes these combinations work for me.

Large scarves, wraps, or shawls are a great way to add dramatic color and 'temperature control' as is often needed at this stage of life. Sunglasses are a daytime staple for me. I never leave without them. Earrings with a button top and dangles or hoops are much more flattering than those little wires that pass through the hole in your ear. A large link bracelet or a stack of bangles (or both!) are great accessories to add to almost any outfit. If I wear a statement necklace, I balance the drama by wearing minimal other accessories. 

Structured handbags and clutches are much more flattering than big shoulder bags that make you look lopsided and sloppy. 

Interesting but comfortable shoes are a must! Life is way too short to wear boring shoes. 

This is my formula for shopping and getting dressed every day. These tips serve me well and have helped me get ready for any event for most of my adult life. 

If you have high contrast coloring, such as dark brown eyes with an olive skin-tone and dark silver-gray hair, and a bold, outgoing personality, your formula might be very different from mine.

I hope that sharing my ideas for dressing will help you put together easy, fabulous outfits so that you can get busy enjoying life.

5 comments:

april grinaway said...

I love the way you think!
... Life is way too short to wear boring shoes...

Great post and thank you.


czecher1 said...

I'm interested to hear how you wear your scarves, wraps and ponchos. I have some lovely ones given to me, but I find when I wear them they constantly fall down from my shoulders to get in my way. I love they way the scarf in your picture is wrapped.....could you share your secret?

Susan said...

http://youtu.be/5LYAEz777AU This is a link for scarf tying ideas. There are also others on Youtube.

Patti @ NotDeadYet Style said...

Love these ideas, Susan. I too have low-contrast coloring and avoid brights. And I love to make my wardrobe multi-functional, as you suggest. Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom with Visible Monday!

Lugene said...

You have given me such great advice. I'm totally revamping my closet using your tips. Thanks so much for sharing.