Saturday, March 1, 2014

Open That Special Bottle Night

Along with countless other wine enthusiasts from across the country, we attended an Open That Special Bottle Night.


The tradition for this evening is that you serve dinner and invite friends to enjoy a special bottle (or two) of wine that you have been saving.


Thankfully our event was held at the Blackthorn Club, so there was no cooking required on my part! Our executive chef, James Allen, did an amazing job pairing the special bottles of wine with dishes to enhance all the wine and food flavors.


Our place settings at wine tastings can become a bit busy.



The social aspect of this event was great fun. Normally we discuss the wine and where it was grown, and why it tastes the way it does. Tonight we shared how we acquired our special bottle and why it was special. Everyone at the table then gets to taste the wine. The gentleman sitting in front of me is a retired engineer and an amateur scientist. We discussed quantum physics and string theory. Sometimes if you want a woman's attention, you have to talk nerdy to her.


One of the bottles Mr. Mickey brought was the toast of the evening. It was a French white Bordeaux from 1986. The label was captivating for me even before we opened it. The perfectly aged wine opened up to reveal notes of pear, honey, and caramel. Everyone who tasted it knew it was a special bottle that they may never have the chance to enjoy again.



I wore my Chico's sapphire boiled wool jacket with a simple black long sleeve tee and black knit Tahari pants on this cold evening. To give the outfit some light, I wore two long silver-colored necklaces, which both have crystal stones in their design. I added another boiled wool overcoat to go out the door. I was happy to stand in front of the fire for these photos. You can tell I am not a fan of cold weather.

3 comments:

Patti said...

I am new to your blog, and I am loving it. Due to fertility issues, my 40's were a horrible decade. Except for the last 3 months of my 40's, when I finally came to peace with having only 2 children, I wished every single day that I was back in my 30's. Since I don't want to waste another decade of my life, I have chosen to embrace my 50's (I recently turned 53). That said, I don't want to be frumpy and dowdy in this decade, and your blog confirms that I don't have to be. Thanks so much for showing women 50 and beyond that they can still be vibrant and beautiful.

Nancy Butterworth said...

Susan, I love your blog! This sounds like a delightful evening!

Donna said...

That definitely looks like a fun evening. I would imagine you held your own in the conversation with your tablemate. Love the silver necklaces against the black and brilliant blue. As always, you look chic and well put together. You make a difference in the lives of your readers!