Friday, January 30, 2015

How do you stay slim?

I get this question or one very much like it every day. I realize that many people honestly do not know what to eat from these exchanges.

In the spring of 2010, I was about forty pounds overweight. It was a few hours before the stiffness left my joints after getting up in the morning. I did not sleep well, and I often had migraines and sinus infections. I had to take several expensive medications and was facing the possibility of three scary surgeries. I did not wear heels anymore because my feet hurt all the time.

06-24-10

01-25-15

Now when I get up in the morning, there is no pain. I am ready to move well immediately. I am rarely sick, but I did get the flu this past winter. Other than that, I haven't even had a cold in years. I no longer take any medications or have migraines or sinus problems.

The only difference is that I changed my choice of food. I eat various vegetables, grains, seeds, nuts, and fruit. I do not eat meat or processed foods. I avoid all processed vegetable seed oils, cheese, and all dairy. Instead, I drink water with lemon, hot tea (with no sugar), and an occasional glass of wine.

The weight came off in about six months. Then, of course, I go for a long brisk walk when the weather is nice.

My inspiration for eating this way came from reading the book "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, which helped me learn what foods to eat and why. It isn't a diet. It is the way I choose to eat for the rest of my life because I really enjoy sleeping well, feeling great every day, and having lots of energy. Wearing size 4 jeans is just a bonus. 
               


No comments: