Tuesday, March 22, 2016

More Tummy Slimming Tricks

Many styling tricks are known and used by the most fashionable women. It isn't that they have perfect bodies. They just know how to guide your gaze to their best features.


Women over fifty often complain about the sudden thickening of the waistline. Welcome to my world! I weighed nine pounds and eleven ounces at birth; my thick waistline has been my nemesis ever since. This means I have been using tummy hiding tricks for a very long time.


One such trick is to half-tuck your shirt. When you leave a shirt with a straight hem entirely tucked or untucked, you create a straight, bold horizontal line, usually at the widest portion of your body. This line guides the eye to look there at your middle in all its glory.

I created this collage to demonstrate this point. All of the pants and tops are the same size. In the center, I replaced the crew neck tee with an open jacket. (Imagine a low scoop neck shorter black tank under the jacket in the middle.)

Do you see how varying the hem length of your top or layers of tops create the illusion of being more slender?

A bold horizontal line or break at or near the waistline makes you look shorter and wider because it visually cuts your body in half. That is why I am a fan of wearing or creating the illusion of asymmetric or broken up hemlines in my tops. The diagonal line is so much more flattering than a single straight horizontal one. A jacket, cardigan, or vest is worn open over a shorter or longer tank is a look you see me often wear for this reason.


To get this effect, just tuck a little of the hem of the shirt into your waistband and let it fall softly back in place. This styling trick makes your legs look longer and removes the focus from your waistline. I also love a V-neckline for its ability to lengthen. 

The three-quarter length sleeves are the next slimming trick. Showing your forearms further breaks up the straight line created across your middle by your clothing. When your sleeves and your hemline end simultaneously, it creates a solid, horizontal line.



Even my hair is cut in a diagonal line, as you can see from the photo below. Hairstyles should be considered in a full-length mirror because balance is imperative for your overall look. A good stylist understands this and will give you a cut that creates balance and harmony from head to toe. (Imagine a petite woman with long full bushy hair that visually seems too heavy for her small body to carry.)



I hope that these tips help you to get dressed with more confidence every day.

The top was provided by Covered Perfectly. The jacket and jeggings are old from Chico's. The Ralph Lauren bag was from 6pm.com last year. The Vince Camuto sandals are several years old from Nordstrom.

10 comments:

Betty said...

Very good tips! ... and great visuals/photographs to illustrate.
I really like this particular outfit, and I look forward to trying these tips for myself!
Enjoy this spring day! :)

Unknown said...

I could not wear my top like that even though I like it on you..I think it would make me feel kinda of sloppy..

Yvonne said...

These are excellent tips Susan and great outfits.

Something I do as I'm a bit short waisted is to wear tops out (rather than tucked in) and wear a V shape belt that sits below the waist at the front. This elongates and I think gives the illusion of a slimmer waist. Anyway, it works for me :)

Thanks for all your great posts - I look forward to reading them.

Helen said...

Looking forward to summer advice. Too hot in the south in the summer to do much layering.

Unknown said...

Great tips...today I decide with my hairdresser do I continue to color or natural . ..naturally blonde and salt and pepper.. leaning towards el natural..but it has to have shine..
If left to own .it grows thick and triangular! So a good cut necessary every 6 weeks..
I get tickled at some comments of stroke and sting..ohmygoodness . ..have a fabulous day ..hugs

LoriM said...

So interesting. I am a Pear shape and I knew I liked 3/4 length sleeves, but I thought it was because the "breaking up" makes my top half look BIGGER, which is what I need. Or maybe it's all the same thing. I need to read thru this again. Ha.

Joanne said...

I like your tips and trick posts. They really help me visualize. The side tuck adds interest to an otherwise plain shirt. I'm going to use this tip.

Karen said...

Love your tips! I'm looking for a simple Easter outfit. Skirt, top & jacket. Don't usually get anything but thought I would this year. I will go through your blog for ideas.

Unknown said...

Love that jacket!

Joanne said...

I want to chime in about the importance of a good hair cut that suits your face. I had a pixie cut - loved the feel of it during the summer, nice and cool. But, it did not suit me. I grew it out (I met you during the process). I grew it to about the bottom of my collar. I had no energy. No life. Just felt blah all the time. I blaimed my diet. I became very irritated with my hair and went to get it all wacked off again into a pixie. My hair stylist of several years suggested I go back to the angled bob as it is low maintenance and suits my face so much better. I cannot believe how much better I feel about myself and life! I feel it is shallow, but true! I feel good about myself. I want to get up in the morning. I want to dress up, I want to put makeup on and most important, I want to do be involved in life again. I had no idea the proper hair style was so powerful!