Friday, April 1, 2016

Very Casual

On rare occasions, I get to stay home by myself for most of the day. If the weather permits, I go for a long walk in my neighborhood. I always make an effort to get dressed for the weather and the event. I take into consideration my comfort on a psychological as well as a physical level when I get dressed or purchase any clothing. I have one pair of flip flops that I only wear after a pedicure. You will never see me in them at any other time.

Below is a typical example of a casual stay home look for me when the weather is cool. I have many tank tops that I throw on with a pair of jeans and then add a cardigan of some sort. This cashmere cardigan is one of my favorites of all time. It is from J.Jill. The jeans and the tank are from Chico's. The shoes are from Rockport.


Early in the morning, when the sun is just coming up, you will often see me walking in my neighborhood. I might be wearing leggings and a tee with slip-on shoes and a jacket. This jacket is from J.Jill. The top is old from Cali and York. The shoes are by Rockport.


If the weather is a little warmer, I choose a lighter weight jacket such as this one from J.Jill. I am quick to get a chill in the air conditioning, so I always have a jacket or sweater on hand. The tank top is likely from Chico's, and I think the jeans here are from J.Jill.



Another great casual look includes leggings or jeans and a super soft, comfortable top from Covered Perfectly. I love how these tops can take you from casual and comfortable to nearly any event. This piping top has strategic stitching and trim that makes me look slimmer and taller. The leggings are by Hue via Dillard's. The shoes are by Rockport.


On a cool fall day, you may see me going for a longer hike to enjoy the foliage. I am wearing faded but never torn jeans with a long sleeve navy tee from Talbot's with an old quilted jacket from Dillard's. The very comfortable khaki ankle boots are from Antelope Shoes.


My favorite form of exercise has always been going for a long walk alone with my thoughts and nature.

A three-quarter length sleeve tee and white ankle pants with a pair of New Balance walking shoes are my heat of summer go-to walking attire. Keep in mind that I also walk early in the morning to not be in full sun. I had skin cancer in the past, so I am careful not to go out in the sun without protection.



14 comments:

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

And you always look fabulous no matter where you are. Thanks for your inspiration!

Donna said...

The collaboration with Pam and Jennifer is a good fit! I love seeing what each of you is wearing and the individual interpretation of an outfit concept.

Andrea said...

Great casual looks! You show so well that you can be comfortable but still look great! I really like your message that how we dress affects us in so many ways!

Can't wait to check out Pam's and Jennifer's looks! I love your collaborations!

Missy said...

Do you ever wear maxi dresses or long skirts in the heat of the summer? Love your informative blog and styling tips!

Susan said...

Hi Missy. I rarely wear dresses because I wear two sizes larger on the top than the bottom which makes me look as if I am wearing a tent in most dresses.

Prairie Poulet said...

The sample look is why offices where I live are phasing out casual Fridays. They were supposed to be "business casual", but that has degraded into flip-flops and shorts, and the type of look shown here.

Jennifer said...

I love these casual looks Susan! You always look pulled together and classy, no matter the level of formality. I didn't know you'd had skin cancer too. I'm really enjoying this collaboration with you and Pam.Have a great weekend.

thepoutingpensioner said...

Getting to understand what is smart casual may be my life's quest, but I do know what is inappropriate for office mufti days so it always peeved me that we had to spell it out. Your Polyvore paradigm hanging on the office wall with a big red line through it would have saved me a thousand words! Thanks for your guidance and inspiration, as always.

RK said...

Great examples of casual looks. I so agree about torn denim!

Brandye Scotton said...

I, too, am loving this collaboration! I get what you're saying about how clothes make you feel. Have you ever been shopping with a dear friend or family member who's trying to convince you that a certain piece is just right for you? Yet, you just aren't feeling it? Happens with my mother all the time. She's quite the stylish diva, but we have different tastes. LOL Have a blessed weekend! Brandye

Catia from Leuli said...

I enjoy your collaboration with Pam and Jennifer as well as your blabs. So much information with different opinions and styles. I don't own a pair of ripped jeans but if I had to wear them, I would combine them with booties, a chambray shirt with a navy blazer and a nice bag. No flip-flops or cropped whatsoever.

Sue from Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond said...

You certainly prove that looking casual at home can still be chic. Thanks for some ideas. Sue from Sizzling Towards Sixty:)

Joanne said...

This was a great refresher for me. Now with summer coming to the Charleston area, I need to check into getting a couple Covered Perfectly 3/4 sleeve tops. I prefer the look of a tank and light sweater, but the 2 layers on my torso is just too heavy during our brutal summers.

Diana said...

I'm new to your blog, just want you to know I am enjoying it. One of the things that helps me relate, Is that I'm built much like you, but in a stretched out version at 5'10", busty with narrow hips, no waist. Although, I do have long legs and arms, where you state your legs are on the shorter side. Not to mention, we were born in the same year, (I'm a January baby - so already hit the big 6-0), but it's another connection. I admire how you pull your outfits together and it inspires me. Thank you for your efforts!